We decided it was time to explore the neighbourhood at the weekend, so after some well deserved chips in Betws y Coed, we headed for Gwydir Castle.
This old house in the outskirts of Llanrwst is a pure gem. Apart from the fascination on my part of the peacocks, I liked the simplicity of the property, the gentle decadence of the place and the no frills laminate sheets and the solitude of it all.
What’s different with a National Trust property?
• cheaper entry
• only 1 member if staff
• only 4 other people whilst we were there
• simple interpretation inside the house
• ‘pure’ experience, the property is allowed to express itself
What could be better if NT did look after it?
• most likely better conservation
• more informative interpretation
• education opportunities
I loved my visit to Gwydir castle, I think it is a great little gem worth exploring. Let the place embrace you and your imagination transport you back to times gone by.